Jacki Thompson concentrates her practice on labor relations and employment litigation representing management.
Jacki guides clients through all facets of traditional labor law, including collective bargaining negotiations, unfair labor practice cases before the National Labor Relations Board, advising on legal issues related to unionization, and picketing. She also defends employers in employment litigation before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, various state agencies, and in state and federal courts against a variety of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation cases. In addition, Jacki counsels employers on a variety of issues, including employee terminations, how to avoid/resolve labor and employment disputes and litigation, and Title VII, FMLA, FLSA, and ADA compliance.
She has also assisted employers with the drafting of employment agreements, separation agreements, covenants not to compete, employee handbooks and policies, and pre-employment applications. Jacki has done extensive work in a number of industries, including health care, manufacturing, airline, restaurant and hotel management, and higher education.
During law school, Jacki was a member of The George Washington Journal of Energy and Environmental Law and was a student member of The George Washington Law School Academic Integrity Committee.
- Successfully defended a claim for wrongful discharge in violation of public policy before the Virginia Supreme Court
- Achieved favorable decisions in disability, race, sex discrimination, and retaliation claims
- Participated in negotiating a three-year labor agreements for multiple hospitals within client’s economic targets and without labor disruption
- Achieved favorable decisions in grievance arbitrations involving employee terminations and contract interpretations
- Co-authored amicus brief for U.S. Supreme Court in seminal employment law case
- Reviewed employee manuals and employment policies to reflect new labor and employment-related legislation
Honors & Awards
- “Washington, DC Rising Stars,” Super Lawyers 2016 – 2018
- Named to DC’s Pro Bono High Honor Roll in 2012 and 2013