Data Confidentiality, Security & Recent Changes to the ABA Model Rules
In 2012 the American Bar Association amended a number of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct to address the increasing use of technology in legal practice and the ongoing need to safeguard client and firm data. Attorney and cyber security expert, Scott Aurnou, explains and discusses the ABA Rules, amendments, comments at issue.
Mr. Aurnou will cover the basic steps needed to comply with the amended Rules, including measures to secure your firm’s computer network and the confidential client, e-discovery and firm data stored on computers, mobile devices and in the cloud, as well as the potential costs of non-compliance.
– Identify the ABA Model Rules related to technology and attorney competence, confidentiality & the use of outside services
– Recent changes made to the Rules regarding technology
– New obligations in place due to the changes to the Model Rules
– Technological and security practices needed to satisfy those obligations with respect to law firm networks, computers, mobile devices and the cloud
– Data Security, E-discovery issues – Do & Don’ts